Monday, August 8, 2011

My Knee- Second Surgery and Early Recovery

When I found out I had to have another surgery, I got some recommendations from my physical therapist. Because who better to know how people do with their surgeries then the person who works with the patients for months after! I was lucky enough to get in to my first choice of knee surgeon for my ACL reconstruction! And he was fantastic. When I first saw him, he was very thorough, and I felt that he was the best choice.

Surgery was very different from the first time. It was at a surgery center, instead of a hospital, which I feel gave it a more personal touch.They were even able to get the IV in my small, baby veins in my hand. I don't remember too much about that day. I am pretty sure I slept a lot. Oh, and I came home with this lovely fashion accessory.


My mom was (and is) amazing throughout all this. After my surgery, she took off the rest of the week, and came over to help me out. I was really not up to much but computerizing, and tv watching.Since then, she's been coming over after work and picking Finn and me up to hang out with her at her house so we are not lonely. That's actually been going on since the first surgery. I love spending time with my mom!

And thank goodness for my ice machine. Put as much ice as fits in, add water, and there is a part that connects to the hose that wraps around my knee. It circulates the ice cold water for a long time. Such a pain relief, and better than ice packs.


 I started back at physical therapy two weeks after surgery. I cannot say enough good things about the therapy center, or my therapist. But that is for another post. :)

P.S. If you want to see pictures of my knee (post surgery) they are here and here. I will not make everyone look at them. I don't think they are that bad, but I know some people are squeamish. And a bonus picture of Finn being cute and gentle, the day he came home from my parents, a few days after surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment