Saturday, July 9, 2011

My knitting projects

When I found out I was going to have knee surgery the first time, I decided that I should find a hobby. Something I could do seated, while I recovered. I decided on making little clay animals, but that only lasted a few days until I got bored with it. What I really wanted to do was to learn how to knit. But knitting didn't work out for me. So when I found out I had to have a second knee surgery, with a longer recovery, I was determined to find something. I was in the craft section at Walmart when I found these cool things.


They are knitting looms. I looked up directions online and found some great instructions with pictures. Perfect. So I went back and bought them, and some yarn. The easiest thing to make is a hat, and I wanted a project I could complete quickly, so I picked the smallest size*. In a little more than an hour, I had this:

A newborn hat!

I don't know anyone with a newborn, but it is still adorable. And I finished a project! So I decided to try a scarf, with a different stitch. With a knitting loom, you can still make flat projects, you just go around until the project is as wide as you want it and then go back the other way, without completing the circle. I haven't gotten too far with the scarf, the stitch it a little more involved so it takes longer. But this is what I have so far.

The length and the front of the stitch


The back of the stitch

It's gotten a bit longer since I took these pictures, but not much. At the rate I am going though, it might actually be cold enough to use it!

*The colors of my looms are different then the ones in the picture. I don't remember what color my smallest size is, but I am making the scarf on the second smallest.

No comments:

Post a Comment